Saturday, April 9, 2011

Another festival!

Lithuanians (and Americans living in Lithuania) love street festivals!  These are typically events where a main street or two are blocked off and all sorts of people sell their wares - food, jewelry, crafts, etc.  The first weekend of March there was one just a few streets over from me.  It was held in conjunction with the end of winter festival.  I bought lots of fun Lithuanian things to bring back to the states with me - some as gifts and some to sell as fundraisers for my work here.  I also bought a couple things for me as well!  :)

This photo does not do these "Verbos" (dried flower sticks) justice.  They are absollutely gorgeous and in the loveliest of colors - bold pinks, purples, and yellows!  These are an Easter specialty in Lithuania and are used in place of palm branches for Palm Sunday celebrations.  I have two displayed in my windows these days.

Here are some Verbos made with feathers. 

Smoked dried fish for sale. This is used as a flavor base for soups, stews, and sauces. 

Kim and Ieva went shopping with me.  Here is Ieva with a bundle of cotton candy that was bigger than her head!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment