Monday, August 20, 2012

First (and hopefully last) Lithuanian hospital stay

Last week was rough...really rough!  I woke up Monday morning and was very dizzy.  I then proceeded to have "digestive issues" for the next several hours.  A couple of my Lithuanian co-workers came to check on me after lunch and decided to call the ambulance to evaluate my condition.  (Here calling the ambulance is more like a doctor/paramedic making a house call - they come to assess the situation.)  The paramedic decided that I was likely dehydrated and needed to go to the hospital.  I took my first ambulance ride (ever!) and went to the hospital.  Upon arriving my condition was assessed by a doctor who concurred with the paramedic that I was dehydrated and needed more fluids.  So, I was admitted and hooked up to an IV.  It was a pretty uneventful hospital stay.  My room had no television or phone, so I slept most of the time.  I did, however, have my smart phone with me and was able to update friends on my condition via Facebook and called my mom on Skype to let her know what was going on.  I felt well enough to go home the next morning and called a co-worker to come pick me up.  I spent the next two days on the couch or in bed pushing as much fluid as my system could hold.  It still isn't clear exactly what was wrong with me...maybe food poisoning, maybe a stomach bug, or maybe as the doctor said, I had "viral diarrhea"...which between my groggy state and the thick accent I at first thought he called "wild diarrhea"!  

Here are some photos of my medical journey...

Looking up at my IV pole

My bed and nightstand

sink in room

My meds were in powder form.  I dissolved them in my cup of water.

Seriously?!  THIS was my dinner...I am vomiting and they give me a hot dog?!  
I only ate the piece of bread.

This is the card and flower that my thoughtful Res Life team brought me when I came home from the hospital.  The card was handmade by Alisha and was a little flip book where you can change the head, torso and legs on the character.  This combo was the beauty queen face, my torso (holding yummy looking cupcakes) and the LCC Moose legs!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment