Sunday, March 25, 2012

Casa Batllo

Gaudi (1853-1926) was an innovative architect who designed many famous landmarks in Barcelona.  I spent Wednesday morning on a tour of one of the homes he designed - Casa Batllo.  It is a 5 story residence in the city of Barcelona.  I loved it.  It was a visual feast!  I could have spent all day drinking in the creative lines and colors...there was much more of Barcelona to explore though, so I held it to just a few hours.  Here are some photos for you to enjoy...

The front of the residence facing the street.

Colorful windows above the doors between rooms to let light in.

A "sitting area" for courting couples.  The right side had a two person bench
for the couple to sit on and the left had a one person bench for the
chaperone to sit on during the courting hours.

The view from the living room out to the street.

The view from the dining room out to the back patio.

The built in mosaic planters on the back wall of the patio.

View of the rear of the residence from the patio.

Looking down the light shaft in the center of the building.

Looking up the light shaft towards the skylights.

Creative chimey toppers

Cross on top of the building. 

A self portrait of me listening to the audio tour.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures!! Thanks for posting them...I hope someday to visit Barcelona and see all of this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds like an awesome vacation. Daniel and I had spent a day and a night in Barcelona in 2006, but it didn't give us time to see much. That market that you spoke of in an earlier post sounds enchanting. Dating back to the 1200's made it sound like it belongs in a medieval fairytale! God Bless you. I enjoy reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete