Sunday, May 30, 2010

Today I met the Staves!

Today I went to Paw Paw, Michigan to attend church. Kevin & Patty Beck and their boys - Sid & Eric went with me. We went to go meet Kim and Andrew Stave. Kim and Andrew work at LCC. Kim is the VP for Student Life and will be my supervisor at LCC. Andrew also works in the Student Life department as the Athletic Director, among many other roles the president has asked him to take leadership of.

They were speaking at a church where Kim's father was the pastor years ago and so the Becks and I went to hear them speak. I had two main goals in this trip. The first was just to meet Kim. We've talked on the phone and exchanged many emails, and I was eager to meet her in person! It was a wonderful first meeting! I had a sense during my interview that there was/would be a easy rapport with her and I found that to be true in person as well. I will be at a conference with her June 7 -10 and look forward to learning to know her better there. And my excitement about working with her next year grows the more I connect with her!

The other goal was to hear more about the work of LCC - both to help me as I speak to others about what I'm investing the next years of my life in and to help the Becks have more understanding of what happens there. They have been amazingly supportive of this move, but I got the impression that they are even more excited about it now that they know more about the people/place I am going to be serving with. I found my own eagerness growing as they talked about the faith community that exists there and the way that impacts the lives of the students at LCC - exactly why I want to be there!

An added bonus was that Stuart, the man who told me about the position initially and helped make the connection between Kim and I, came to the service as well. We all stayed for the church bbq after the service and had a good time connecting.

Stuart, me, Kim, and Andrew

Kim and me

This is Kim and Andrew's little boy, Isak - such a cherub!
The also have a daughter, Ieva, but I did not get a photo of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment