Saturday, November 20, 2010

First Lithuanian Thanksgiving celebration!

The RDs invited me to work with them today to host a Thanksgiving dinner for the RAs.  I was excited!  I hosted one for the RAs at Goshen for many years, so it was fun to be a part of it here this year.  It was many of the RAs first time celebrating the holiday.  I so enjoyed being a part of their introduction to our holiday!  I brought homemade bread, devilled eggs, and some party mix for an appetizer.

We all gathered around 5 smallish round tables that were pushed together to form one big "family table."  We started with an introduction to the holiday and why it is celebrated.  Then Erik (the spouse of an RD) asked a blessing on the meal.  We passed the food family style and had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, bread, devilled eggs, and broccoli.  (The two things that we wanted and couldn't find ingredients for were sweet potatoes and green bean casserole.)  After dinner we went around the table and shared what we're thankful for.  It was great to hear the things that the students shared - it reminded me again of what an amazing opportunity it is to be at LCC.  The finale of the meal was pumpkin pie topped with fresh whipped cream.  Yummmm! 

After the meal about half of them stayed with us and watched "It's a Wonderful Life."  Only one had seen it before, so it was fun to experience it with them.  I've seen it countless numbers of times and enjoyed watching it with a fresh perspective - especially as we would pause to explain more American slang English words.  :)

I didn't take nearly enough photos, but here are the few that I got...

 Erik & Becky working on the turkey & gravy.

 Doing the wishbone!

Some of our gal RAs enjoying the pie and whipped cream!

I will be celebrating Thanksgiving two more times this week, so watch for blog updates next week that tell about those gatherings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment