Thursday, October 28, 2010

Disappointment

This week was fall break.  I had a trip planned to France to visit my niece who is with YWAM just outside of Paris this year.  Given the policial situation in France due to the the government's changes to the retirement system and the strikes/traffic problems caused by it, I cancelled my trip.  I was totally bummed about this change of plans, but felt that staying in Klaipeda was the best thing for me to do.

After some prodding from my supervisor that I really "HAD to get out of town" I decided to take a couple of days and go to Riga, Latvia for a few days during the middle of the week.  I took the bus to Riga on Tuesday morning.  When I got to town, I dropped my bags at my hotel "Radi Un Draugi" and went off in search of some food. 
The Radi Un Draugi

During my quest for food I found a fun, modern, pretty urban looking restaurant called K|I|D in Old Town.  I wasn't super hungry, but knew I needed to get something good in me.  I had a Roman Salad - romaine lettuce, smoked chicken, artichokes, croutons, and a creamy pineapple dressing...quite tasty!  

The Roman Salad 

After eating the salad I walked around town a bit.  I was SO excited to see some of the sights of the Old Town area....quaint shops, beautiful old buildings, fun narrow little streets to explore...a great couple of days were ahead of me!

House of Blackheads - SO ornate!

The cobblestone streets of Old Town

St. Peter's Church - so tall I didn't even get it all in the photo!

After about an hour or so of walking around town and taking these photos I realized that I needed to use the restroom.  Since most public toilets are pay-to-use and my hotel was just a few blocks away I decided to go back to the hotel for a few minutes...maybe freshen my make up, check facebook, and then head back out. 

WRONG!  I got back to the hotel and realized that I either had come down with a pretty bad case of food poisoning or the stomach flu or whatever - it was something that turned my digestive system upside down and inside out!  I spent the rest of my 2 days in Riga in my hotel room...chills, stomach cramps, various bodily functions that I won't discuss, and slept for hours and hours.  It was not the get away I had planned.  :(

Not sure what the rest of my break holds, but can say without a doubt that this has been my most disappointing fall break ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment