Sunday, August 8, 2010

I hardly know what to post!

There is SO much new and exciting stuff that I'm experiencing these first few days in Lithuania!  I hardly know what to post.  It's been packed full of so much that there is no way I can fill you in on all the details.  Sorry.  So, here are a few of the more meaningful/important/noteworthy moments from Friday.

I took a tour of the DeFehr Centras - the building where my office is located.  Here is a photo of it.  Please note that I still need to add a bit of the "Susie-touch" to it!  :)

* notice the GC portfolio sitting on the desk!  :)

I then took a tour of Neumann Hall - the residence hall on campus.  I really liked the facility and am anxious to hear from the RDs this week about how it's used by students currently.  I have lots of ideas of programs that could be done there, but first want to hear what's working for them at this point.

I already wrote a post about my lunch with my landlady!  :)

I spent the afernoon and evening with Steve Metelak and his family.  Steve was the Director of Community Life (DCL) last year.  Since I will be taking over his role, it was good to begin establishing a relationship with him.  I think he'll be a very cooperative and supportive person to collaborate with this year.  He reminds me a of a combination of 3 men I know.  He is built like/moves like/dresses like Tim Demant - the AD at GC.  His eyes/profile/wisdom/compassion/care for others reminds me of Charles Buller - a friend/former pastor from my church back home.  And his smile reminds me of Jake Pavelka - ABCs most recent Bachelor!  OK, so I don't actually KNOW Jake, but I saw a lot of him on tv this winter!  :)

The Metelak's mentor a young gal from the local orphanage.  She was at the apartment with us on Friday.  She's a precious gal - her eyes are bright and full of innocence and love for people.  She was a little shy with me at first, but began to open up to me more as the evening went on - even giving me a big hug when we dropped her off at the orphanage at the end of the evening.  I cried a little as I left the orphanage with Steve.  It's such a cold and ugly looking place - a building leftover from the Soviet's use.  Steve assured me that it is nice inside and that she gets good care.  I kept thinking of my nieces back home who are about that age and what it would be like for them to be at a place like that.  I plan on getting to know this gal better as the year goes on and others at the orphanage as well.

I think I'll end her for now...more is on the way for sure!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, i think you're pretty cool and thinking of you and thinking you are doing awesome and going to do wonderful in your new job!

    ReplyDelete