Friday, August 27, 2010

Saltibarsciai

I heard about the famous Lithuanian dish "Saltibarsciai" before I arrived this summer.  It's a bright pink (think pepto bismol) cold beet soup made with kefyras (sort of like buttermilk), beets, dill and some cucumber.  I knew that in order to have a true Lithuanian experience I had to try it, but to be honest I was not looking forward to it.  I went out with a few other faculty members last Friday night and had the soup for dinner.  It actually wasn't terrible!  It is served with several wedges of boiled potatoes.  I found that when I dipped the potatoes in the soup and ate them together it was actually quite tasty!  Though just a spoonful of the soup was not something I wanted more than a few spoonfuls of. 



Saltibarsciai

No comments:

Post a Comment