Monday, August 16, 2010

A trip to Nida!

I was invited by Veslava, one of my RDs, to join her in a trip to Nida on Saturday.  It was my first "trip" since arriving to Klaipeda.  I should have asked a few more questions about what this trip would entail.  I thought it was a little tourist town filled with shops.  I was partly right.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site - featuring a large sand dune and a gorgeous beach.  I wasn't really dressed to climbing a sand dune or making the trek across the spit to enjoy the beach...I did both though!  My legs & feet were throbbing by the end, but that was ok.  I had a wonderful time getting to know Veslava better and thoroughly enjoyed the view from the top of the sand dune! 

Veslava and me on top of the dune.

To get to Nida we walked to the ferry that took us across the bay to the spit.  We then rode a bus for about an hour down to Nida.  On the way there we were under an open window and enjoyed a lovely breeze.  On the trip back the bus was so full that people stood in the aisle for the hour long trip - we were thankful to have gotten on early enough to grab a seat! 

I LOVE this photo that Veslava took.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment