Sunday, August 22, 2010

Student Life Retreat

On Wednesday the Student Life Department headed out of town for a retreat...I have no idea where it was, so don't even ask!  :)  We went to a nice place that had a few meeting rooms built into the side of a hill.  We spent the morning doing some Strengths Finder work that I helped Kim lead (Thanks to Anita Yoder at GC for all her info over the years to help us with that one!), then we made lunch of "shashlik" - which is basicly chicken on a skewr cooked over an open fire...much like a shish-ka-bob in the US, we did another session about Strengths Finder, some team building activities, and the grand finale was the sauna! 

Saunas are a BIG deal over here!  You sit in a super hot sauna - ours was about 105 degrees celcius (about 220 F).  It was hot, and I mean hot!  I glanced down at my legs and saw water all over them.  At first I thought someone had spilled something on me and then I realized it was SWEAT!  I've never been so hot that water poured out of the pores on my thighs!  Crazy, right?!  Well, it gets crazier...after we sat in there for 10 minutes or so, we ran out and jumped into the cold lake!  Talk about a shock to the system!  We repeated this crazy cycle 3 times!  :)  It really was pretty energizing and made for some good team bonding. 

Some photos from the day...
Olena, Vaiva, and Veslava patiently waiting for lunch.

Margarita, Erik, and Steve working on the shashlik.

Kim and Gabija pause for a photo during their conversation.

Olena, Alexandra, Becky, and Veslava cozy in the backseat on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment