Sunday, August 22, 2010

Looking for some good luck? Whisper or rub here...

It's been almost a week since I posted.  This is not because there is nothing going on in my life, rather I have been so incredibly busy that I can hardly keep up with day to day life...much less posting on a blog!  I do want to keep others updated though, so here's the buzz on what's been going on...

This city is full of art.  Seriously, there are sculptures and statues all over the place!  I pass by at least 7 on my way to work each day...and those are just the big ones that I can see from the bus.  There are many other small ones as well.  Like the cat and mouse in my neighborhood.  I first found out about the mouse when I was over at Haly & David's place in July.  We were looking up my apartment on google maps and found a link to a statue of a mouse that was located in my neighborhood. 

I decided ot go looking for it last Sunday afternoon when I was stiting at home with nothing to do.  I found him just a block and a half from my apartment. 


A website with info about Klaipeda says the following about him...
In front of Jazz club "Kurpiai", in Klaipėda Old Town, a sculpture of a little mouse was build recently. It is not a simple mouse. A modest 17 cm high creation made out of bronze and stone, on the opinion of the authors is - magic. A minor sculpture is surrounded by a bronze band with spells: "Convert your ideas into words - words will become magic". One may only whisper into the ear of the "thaumaturge" and good will is going to become true.

Here's a self portrait of me whispering into his ear...

My purchases from Iki are in the background...mango juice, napkins, and some frozen veggies.

And then on Monday night I set out to find the cat statue in my neighborhood...

The Klaipeda website said this about the cat...
"Old Town Cat" - sculpture from granite and bronze, started "living" on the Blacksmith street in year 1979.It is miraculous old town inhabitant-rub his tail, and you secret wishes will come truth.

Seems to be a lot of "luck" associated with these statues.  :)  I am not going all superstitious on you and banking on my future being changed by these two creatures, but it was fun to walk around the neighborhood and find them

No comments:

Post a Comment