Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ladies who lunch...

Friday morning I met my landlady - Danute.  She's probably about 50 years old and was very excited to meet me.  :)  I was on my way to the school when my neighbor (another LCC employee) introduced me to Danute.  Daunute doesn't speak English, but my neighbor speaks a little Lithuanina thus being able to make the introduction!  Danute then informed me (through my neighbor) that I was to join her for lunch at 12:30 that day!

So as I walked up to her apartment around 12:30, I was thinking about how I don't know Lithuania and she doesn't know English.  We actually managed to have a decent "conversation" during our meal with the use of hand gestures, pointing, and even some drawing of pictures!  :)

The meal was pretty typical with a few surprises thrown in!  She first gave me a shot of some sort of sweet liquor that burned all the way down! We then had a delicious main dish of a chicken & rice dish that tasted like something I'd make at home. She also had fresh tomatoes as a side, a jello cup with peaches and some sort of berries in it. Dessert was these tiny buttercream frosting type filled popovers. She made coffee the Lithuanian way - put the grounds in the cup, pour boiling water over it, stir it, and then only drink about 2/3 of it because the grounds are in the bottom of the cup.  (My boss had told me about this method of making coffee earlier in the morning - I am SO glad she did or I would've kept on drinking unknowingly!)  And then ti finish the meal we had another shot of liquor!  Certainly not my usual way to begin or end a meal! 

She sent me home with a plate of fresh fruit and some unidentified sauasge type meat slices. She also gave me a baby fern - which I fear I will kill!  EEK!

It was a fun experience.  I was very appreciative of her hospitality!  I think as I learn a bit more of her language it will be fun to get to know her.  She seems very sweet and eager to relate to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment