Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Opening Convocation

Today was our third day of classes already.  We gathered at noon for convocation to celebrate the beginning of a new year at LCC.  Our 21st year...the start of our thrid decade.  It was so good to see students.  To see them grinning and waving at me from the crowd.  To know that I am finally known here and am a part of their LCC experience, not just a new face that they wonder about.  I LOVE not being the new gal!  :)

Convocation was a predictable event, but one filled with meaning and warmth.  My favorite part is when they have the students stand in recognition of the country they come from.  I love that we are such and international place.  I think we have faculty, staff and students from 27 different countries this year.  I think that is SO cool!  At the end of the service we have a candle lighting where a representative from each country brings a candle up to the stage.  It is beautiful.

I was in the front row of the staff side, so I snuck a photo of the crowd.

The big LCC candle in the middle surrounded by the smaller candles that represent each country that our community members are from.

Having a little fun with the fact that today is the start of the EuroBasket tournament in Lithuania!  Here is Lina, our associate dean, wearing her Lithuanian colors with pride!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment